Sunday 26 April 2009

A Whole Weekend of Stitching!

I've just got back from an excellent weekend at Belstead House (near Ipswich) with Norfolk-based patchwork group, The Flying Geese. Not QUITE sure how I managed that really, as I'm not a member of the group, I don't live in Norfolk, and I'm not a patchworker or quilter!
I guess it's just who you know.
This is the view from one of the windows in our workroom -

How's that for inspirational surroundings?

And this is some of us still hard at work after dinner, when it was dark outside. Those of us with staying power continued working until 11pm!

We didn't have a tutor - it was a 'Go it Alone' weekend, with everyone doing their own thing. Some people were working on quilts -

There were hangings - don't you just LOVE these colours ......

Cushions ...

Inchies .....

a jacket .....

and even a frog tidy/pincusion .....

It was lovely to have nothing to think of but stitching, (except, possibly, what time's the next meal coming) and there was always someone to give a bit of stitching advice or a second opinion on colourways. There was quite a lengthy discussion about strip patchwork, (which is NOTHING like strip poker) and I suggested the group could rename themselves The Dersingham Strippers, but it was decided that could encourage the wrong sort of members. We had some real laughs, and the atmosphere was a bit like a grown up girlie sleepover, but with less talk about boys, and more talk about medications and ailments.

And finally, although I'm not a patchworker or quilter in real life, here is my 'work in progress' - a 'bed-quilt-to-be' made from recycled tablecloths, traycloths and bedlinen. I will post another picture when it's finished. Probably best if you don't hold your breath, though.

Thank you for allowing me to join you girls, and thanks once again for your great company.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Gill, We all had a wonderful weekend and enjoyed ourselves. Im not sure if there was more talking, eating or sewing done, but we still seemed to produce a lot over the weekend. I look forward to seeing you soon and our next trip to Belstead
    The Other Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a lovely time with some great company. You were obviously a busy group, the work looks complicated and stunning. Can't wait to see your's finished.

    ReplyDelete