Tuesday, 4 August 2015

1, 2, 3

I've just discovered the Colette Sorbetto pattern - a free download from HERE.  I actually printed the pattern off a while ago, but rediscovered it in one of my 'pattern mountains' so thought I'd give it a go.  I've been really pleased with the Colette Laurels that I've made and this looked to be an easy make - and it was.
The first one was cut from a seersucker gingham in red which was intended just to check the fit, but I've been wearing it lots
As you can see, it's a simple vest shape, with a front pleat and bias trimmed neck and armholes.  I used my bias maker - such a brilliant little gadget. My trusty and much-used overlocker had finally given up the ghost  (it's since been replaced with a shiny new model) so I used french seams to neaten the inside.  A check of other versions on the internet suggested that the darts might be a bit high, and I thought I'd want it a bit longer too, so I slashed across the pattern between the armholes and the darts, and added 5cm there, both front and back.

I was so pleased with it, I had a look to see what other suitable 'Sorbetto' fabric I had, and that resulted in this version
and then on my birthday at the Creative Sanctuary sew-in, I cut out my third version, and finished it when I got home
Look at that terrific pleat placement - deckchairs slap bang in the middle!  Actually, I can't claim any credit for that, if Jane hadn't mentioned it, I'd have just cut it out without thinking about it, so thanks Jane.  I think this is my favourite version - and I'm very tempted to get the same fabric in pink too.

I've also made a 4th version for my friend Jill, in a fresh green and white floral print, but I forgot to take a photo before I gave it to her.

I can thoroughly recommend the pattern as a simple and quick summer top - there will definitely be more.

1, 2, 3 - Len Barry

1 comment: