Thursday 15 December 2011

Oh dear I've not been very good at this blogging business recently. No time!
Anyway, just to catch up.
I went for a weekend with my friend Lynn, who had told another friend of hers that I collect old sewing machines.  Wouldn't really describe myself as a collector, but I do have a couple.  Anyway, this friend of a friend said "Oh, she might like this then" .....
It's a miniature Essex sewing machine.
And, just to prove it's miniature

Having done a bit of research on the internet, it turns out that it was made in a factory in Wanstead - which is still there,  although no longer makes sewing machines.  Which is a pity, because despite the very best efforts of my Dad,

who cleaned and oiled it so that it turns smoothly now, unfortunately there is no tension mechanism, so it won't work.  Never mind it looks pretty, and I might contact the factory to see if they have any spares lying around!

I have recently been on a printing course at The Artnest in Hitchin (no website yet)
We did lino cuts and then printed them ....
Lots of robins, snowmen and mistletoe (and maybe the odd heart)
liberally interspersed with nibbles, mulled wine, and cake.
Finally, (and this is really for my Dad 'cos I don't think he entirely believed me.  A few weeks ago I bought another attachment for my bird feeder and some little black Niger seeds (I think they come from Love-in-the-Mist, so it won't matter if they seed themselves.)  None of the usual birds seemed the slightest bit interested, and I decided that I wouldn't bother with those seeds again - then one day last week I was in my kitchen and I saw a  swarm(?) of Goldfinches!  There were six altogether, although by the time I got my camera, some of them had flown away so there were only three left 

These two were there for ages. I love my bird feeder.

3 comments:

  1. I've got one of those! The mini machine that is. My mum made clothes with it in the 50s, then later I had it to make doll's clothes and soft toys. Must get it out of the loft sometime for a play, the chain stitch might be useful. Thanks for leading me to a copy of the manual. Maybe a good sewing machine mechanic could improvise you a tension device, it's not complex?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice to be given one of those sewing machines, I hope you manage to get the tension sorted.
    Your Lino prints are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see you back! I love you lino prints and that teeny sewing machine is MAGIC! Love it. Have a great Christmas. Moira x

    ReplyDelete