On Wednesday we had the first meeting of our "Embroidery Group That Dare Not Speak It's Name" - but only because it hasn't got one yet. We are made up of members from our previous City and Guilds Group, plus one welcome addition, and with Gina, aka Fan My Flame as our mentor. This term we are focusing on metals, so to that end I spent the best part of a day trying to stitch with metallic thread. At a conservative estimate, I would say that my thread broke about 8,256 times, and that I completely re-threaded the machine approximately 3,008 times. And all without a single swear word. Next class I will be mostly stitching in quilting thread.
The other activity was considerably more successful (how could it not be?) with Gina showing us how to do rust dyeing. We soaked fabric in salt water, and wrapped up various rusty objects - I'm SO glad I come from a long line of hoarders - although what my Grandad would have made of me sorting out the rustiest nails and bolts from his collection, and then wrapping them in wet fabric is anybody's guess.
We had to leave them for at least 24 hours, and I managed nearly 48.
(I did think it might be another unmitigated disaster like the metallic stitching, so I was just delaying things I suppose. I took my parcel outside
And it had - although I think my neighbours may be a bit concerned about my washing
I'm going to use it for my homework, and then for a piece for our first exhibition (cos "The Mentorist" says so)
You may notice my usual heart shape - in the middle of the right hand piece.
I didn't get where I am today without a battered and rusty old heart.
(Rust - Echo and The Bunnymen)