Sunday 16 August 2009

U2 at Wembley

I went to Wembley to see U2 last night. I have to say I'm not a big U2 fan as, in company with a lot of other people, I tend to think Bono is a bit of a knob. I can't help thinking that either the rest of the band are the same, or he's not actually as bad in real life. They've been together for over 30 years, and surely, if he is as pompous and self opinionated as he seems, one of his band members would have punched him by now. Or maybe they do, regularly, and that's why he has to wear the dark glasses 24 hours a day.

Anyway, they did put on a great show, and the stage set was fantastic. It was on a circular stage, with a platform running around it, and moveable arched bridges from the stage on to the circular platform.

Bono on the big screen ...



The set really came into it's own when it got dark - and looked liked a giant space ship that was about to take off.


And the light show was probably the best I've seen. Thank goodness for digital cameras, I had to take a photo of every colour combination ....


All that, plus the odd political speech thrown in for good measure. Well, it wouldn't be Bono without that would it? I expect he donated most of his takings to charity, and cycled off to the local Travelodge for the night.



If you haven't yet seen the new Wembley Stadium - it's really quite impressive and well worth a visit.

And incidentally, thanks to a bit of advice from my friend Jane (of Jane's London) I've uploaded bigger versions of the photos, so you can double click on them (left hand mouse button, Dad) and they come up much bigger.







2 comments:

  1. The stage looks really good. Like you I think Bono's a knob, something a bit suspect about someone that wears dark glasses indoors unless your Stevie Wonder of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't find your email address--would you email me your post address so I can send you the dvd? kellininaperkins at gmail. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete