Sunday, 20 January 2013


A few months ago, my Mum was clearing out one of her cupboards, and found some half-knitted gloves.  She doesn't knit anymore, so she handed them to me saying "You might as well finish these".

Not a problem - except that she no longer had the pattern.  Still, shouldn't be beyond me, I thought.  Yesterday, in the spirit of completing my half-finished projects, I dug out the gloves, and the remaining wool.  I gauged  guessed the size of needles, and sat down to knit, but then I realised that they weren't knitted in a simple rib, as I'd first thought, and that the inside looked like this, although the outside did just look like a normal K1P1 rib.  
Mmm.  Not to be outdone,  I then got all my knitting books out and looked for something similar, and I eventually decided that it looked like reverse seed stitch.  I did a test square to check and luckily it seemed to match, so I managed to get them finished over the course of the evening.  Not really my colour, but at least that's another project finished.
This morning I rang Mum to tell her, and explained that it had been trickier than I expected, not having the pattern, and all.  She said she definitely DID have a pattern at one time, and she could clearly picture it (pity she couldn't picture the instructions, then) 
Apparently, she was making them for my nephew, to keep his hands warm while he was doing his paper round.  As he is now in his late twenties and works in an insurance office, I can't really see him needing them now.
Anyway, there's enough wool left to make a hat, should I so choose.
Looks like I might need one ...............

You Can't Hurry Love - The Supremes