Wednesday 22 June 2016

Selfless Stitches

The last couple of weeks has seen an uncharacteristic period of selfless sewing and knitting.  Firstly, I was going up to Birmingham to celebrate my friend Sherri's birthday.  I wasn't sure what to get her, then I remembered she has a love of all things 'seaside' (maybe because she lives just about as far away from the sea as you can get on this little island?).  So, I decided to make another version of the bag I made with Jane which you can see a picture of HERE.  I found the perfect fabric - a canvas weight with seaside images 
I also found seaside-related pressies to go in the bag too.  No, not a bucket an spade - although I considered it - but a slightly more sophisticated choice of a scented candle and some caramel and seasalt choccies.
We had a great celebration party, organised by her lovely nephew Adam,
who, incidentally, I knew when he looked like this .. ..... (and that's me - with short hair!)

I admit though, that the celebrations couldn't commence until after I had dragged Sherri to another fabric emporium - well, she only lives a few miles away from Guthrie & Ghani, so it would have been rude not to!  I got some lovely fabric, including this brilliant typewriter fabric.  
True, I already have ONE typewriter dress, but you can always use another one.
Anyway, back to the selfless stitches, last week I suddenly remembered that I had sent in an application to enter an exhibit in the Eastern Region Embroiderer's Guild Festival of Stitch and owing to other events, if I didn't do it last week, it wouldn't get done.  So I did it!  Can't show you the finished piece yet, but its listed as a 'tattoo cushion' and includes this
I've also done a bit of selfless-knitting, for the worldwide Knit in Public Day event at the Creative Sanctuary in Hertford, making squares to be made into a blanket which will be auctioned for Alzheimers Society.  I did finished one square on the day
and I've made several more since (I even got my Mum to do a bit of knitting - first time for years)
I continued with the Knitting in Public theme and knitted on the train going up to Stratford to help out with the second batch of alterations of the Paralympic kit - Kym and I were joined by Jane too this time - the building we were working in isn't finished yet so we still had to wear the protective gear
We worked hard, for two days, in a huge warehouse with no windows - Jane said she felt like an extra from the Hunger Games, and when an alarm sounded we thought maybe the building had been infiltrated by aliens - but still we stitched ...
We did get out safely though, and the world was still there - and so was the best helter skelter ever -
Bit more selfless sewing to go, then, no doubt, I'll revert to type and it'll all be about me.







2 comments:

  1. How very lovely and altruistic of you! Love that typewriter fabric... And you look just like Linda in that photo with baby Adam. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought for a moment that you were going to tell me that you'd stitched the high viz jackets!!! Lovely bag btw.

    ReplyDelete