Wednesday 21 October 2015

It's Been Awhile

Blimey - over a month - no excuses, I just didn't get around to it.  I have a little bit of sewing though.  I made this dress ...
My second Merchant and Mills Factory dress.  As my last one was very much on the loose side, I decided to cut a size smaller.  It's still very loose, but that's the style and I don't think I'd be tempted to go any smaller - I just checked the pattern, and this is a size 12 - and to be honest, its a number of years, and even more pieces of Millionaire's Shortbread (other calorific cakes are available), since I would consider myself a size 12.

I made this version in a dark blue lightweight denim - not so light as to be a chambray, but lightish, and soft.  Its very comfy and easy to wear and will work in all seasons - cool in summer, and in the autumn and winter I'll still wear it but with long sleeve Tshirts underneath.
Anyway, I love it, and its probably my favourite 'what shall I wear today' dress.  I was therefore a bit miffed the other day when I caught the pocket on a door fitting and ripped it - not just the seam but the fabric itself.  Horror!  Fortunately, however,  as it was near the pocket, and due to the voluminous shape, I was able to take it in a smidge and the rip has disappeared inside.

I'm trying to think what else I've done - I've had my sofas recovered and while they were away I had the lounge decorated and the carpet cleaned.  Given the size of my flat, it meant that for ten days I was either busy in the garden during the day, or holed up in my bedroom in the evenings.  No tele - but I did watch DVDs and so I spent the week eating dinner whilst lying on my bed and catching up with Season 2 of Ripper Street.  Yes, I know, everyone else has done Season 3.
Mum and Dad have been down for a visit, so we met up with a few family and old friends, and did some more gardening.

Oh, and I've started running again, after many years of abstinence.  I suggested it to my friend Jill who I was sure would talk me out of it, but surprisingly, she was up for it too, so two or three times a week we get out and walk a bit/run a bit until we've had enough. Not sure my knees entirely approve, but we are taking it steady, and so far, both of us have made it back home again.

It's Been Awhile - Staind





6 comments:

  1. Good to see you back and to catch up. I love that dress on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice to see you! and great dress - glad you manged to fix the rip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice dress! It really suits the denim, and looks like it suits you too! I love those loose fitting dresses, must be very comfortable, but I am afraid they might swamp me. Popping in as part of my blog commenting challenge 300 in 30 days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this dress looks really nice of you - it shows off your lovely slim arms and legs. The fabric is just right for the dress too.

    The thing about rippable pockets means it is not as practical as it looks. Perhaps side seam pockets would be better instead? Any good to hear you have taken up running, done up your sitting room and tidied up the garden. Phew. More than enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They WERE side seam pockets that got caught on the door catch - the legs and arms might be slim, but the rest is obviously having trouble fitting through the door - good job I've started running!

      Delete
  5. Lovely dress - so pleased the rip was repairable!

    ReplyDelete