Saturday 26 July 2014

The Lincolnshire Poacher

Been too busy gardening to sit indoors and blog - except for the days it was raining and then I was too busy sewing.  This is one of my recent makes - the pattern is from the July Prima magazine.  I subscribe to it, so I get the pattern sent out with the magazine, which comes a day or two before it's in the shops.
As soon as I saw it I knew that not only did I want to make it, I wanted THAT fabric.
I rang the shop that was shown as a stockist for the fabric, and was lucky enough to get the last 2.3 metres they had.  
The fabric arrived in a couple of days, and by that time I had already traced the pattern, and made a toile, so I was already to go.  Here's my version
I'm really pleased with it, the bodice has princess seams, which I think I prefer to darts, with a flared skirt, rather than gathers.  I tried to find a red belt to match, but in the end I I made my own with the last remaining bit of fabric, some fold-over interfacing, and a vintage green buckle.
I'm laughing because my friend/photographer told me to click my red heels together, and I did - but it doesn't quite come across in a photograph.
I wore the dress on Wednesday for the Homecoming Parade of the 2nd Battalion of the Royal Anglian Regiment  who marched through Hertford following their return from Afghanistan.
They looked very smart, very young and just a tiny bit warm

Apparently the Battalion are know as 'the Poachers' hence this guy ...
There was a really good turn out in the town, with lots of cheering, clapping and flag waving, which is the very least these brave young men deserve.

Oh, and to prove that I've been gardening - look at my produce.  This was collected on Thursday
and this was picked about an hour ago
A combination of torrential rain and hot sunshine seems to be doing the trick.  The blueberries possibly leave a bit to be desired, but the courgette - yes, that is a courgette and not a marrow - has more than made up for them.

The Lincolnshire Poacher - The Regimental Band and Corps of Drums and 2nd Battalion the Royal Anglian Regiment





4 comments:

  1. You in that dress and that dress look great. So lucky with the fabric, or what???
    And what a great occasion for its' first outing. It is scary how young some of our Forces are isn't it. Just glad that they are coming home at last.
    Other than raspberries my produce has been rubbish this year; seriously considering slug pellets for 2015!
    Zxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that dress, the style is such a useful one. Oh and I loved the poacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely dress and you look much nicer in the smiley photo! I had to deal with18 courgettes before I left for Missenden today because no one else will cook them while I'm away. There are still loads on the plants which no doubt will be marrows by Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an epically awesome dress! The princess seams have given you a really smooth and well fitting bodice xx

    ReplyDelete