Back in February, I read a post by Rhinestones and Telephones who had just launched a competition to make a Dolly-inspired dress to celebrate the wedding of said Dolly Clackett (aka Roisin) and her beau Nic. I've been an avid reader of Dolly's for some time, and have been constantly overawed by her fab frocks - and can only wonder at her Tardis-like wardrobe space.
Somewhat fortuitously, I had made a rare fabric purchase (oh yeah, about as rare as the number of occasions I've eaten chocolate over the last few days) from here, and I had also recently got my hands on a copy of the Emery pattern.
As I hadn't made it before I decided to try the pattern out in some B&W gingham that's been knocking about for a while. I was quite pleased with it, and decided to wear it to the private view tea party of our exhibition, but felt it needed a bit of embellishment, so added two rows of this fabric
I know you've seen the finished dress before, but a friend agreed to take some photographs, so I did some posing in my garden - which is looking beautiful - even if the model has seen better days.
I did think of submitting that as my one and only entry into the Dolly Clackett competition, but in the end I decided it was a bit too subdued, even with the embellishment, so I decided on making a second Emery with this fabric .....
I did think perhaps it was a little bit bold - and maybe not very age appropriate. I am rather inclined to make clothes for a woman that I'm not, with I lifestyle I haven't got - and with a figure I've never had.
But then I thought, well I AM a vintage sewist, and this is vintage sewing machine fabric, so why not??
I cut the fabric out weeks ago, but then, as is my wont, decided that there was no rush, there was PLENTY of time to make it up. And then yesterday I suddenly realised the deadline for the competition is this Wednesday, so I'd better get a move on. So, I started the stitching today - and it went together beautifully - even the invisible zip went in perfectly, first go. By 3 o'clock this afternoon it was finished in time for my mate calling round and being roped in to take some outdoor shots.
I made a few changes to the pattern - I left out the back waist darts, mainly because I don't go in much in the middle, and I don't like dresses too fitted. I also lengthened the bodice by an inch and a half as I'm fairly tall, but other than that it's pretty much as the pattern.
I have to say - I really love it!
She's My Inspiration - Thunder